Volunteers are a major part of little athletics running smoothly and on time. Little Athletics is a voluntary organisation, centres cannot operate without the assistance of parents each week in fulfilling the many and varied duties required. These include officiating at an event; managing an age group; recording results; working in the canteen; to name just a few. Additional assistance is always required on the centre committees and all parents are encouraged to become involved. Little Athletics is one of the few sports where parents can become fully involved in their child’s sporting interests.
We understand that just like our athletes, our parents come from a diverse range of backgrounds and as such have different talents and experience. There is a place for everyone at Little Athletics and there are a number of ways that you can become involved. You may have skills that the centre doesn’t even know they need. So if you think you can help with something, let the committee know.
Without parent support and help it is impossible for our club to run successfully and your children to have full engagement in the sport and the committee wishes to stress the importance of parents becoming involved in your children’s sport.
Please don’t wait to be asked – come forward and offer your assistance to help keep the centre running effectively!
Volunteers are also able to apply for a Blue Card for working with children – it’s free!
Set-Up / Pack-Up
Setting up involves arriving early and putting out the equipment and age baskets for the day’s activities. To get started on time please offer your assistance on arrival to put out any equipment. As the events finish all parents should help put the equipment away.
Technical: line marking, equipment maintenance
Age Group Helpers
Each field event requires numerous helpers to ensure it’s successful running. This includes event chiefs, spikers, fetchers, recorders, rakers, bar lifters. Get involved – it is a great way to view your child’s performance up close.
Jumps: raking sandpits, measuring jumps, maintaining bar height, judge
Throws: measuring throws, spiking, spotting when implement lands, judge
Track: starting, start marshall, hurdle set-up
The canteen needs helpers to keep it running! If serving food and drinks to hungry athletes and parents is up your alley then please feel welcome to drop in and volunteer an hour or two to help.
It has been proven that parent volunteers that get involved with their kids sport will give them the confidence and support to be their best.
VOLUNTEERS/OFFICIAL CODE OF CONDUCT
- Be impartial! Also, be consistent, objective and courteous.
- Place the safety and welfare of the athletes above all else. Be alert to minimise dangerous physical play, fair or foul, especially competition days.
- Accept responsibility for all actions taken.
- Avoid any form of verbal contact with coaches, team officials, parents and spectators during competition.
- Avoid any situation which may lead to a conflict of interest, both on and off the field.
- Condemn all and every instance of unsportsmanlike, foul or unfair play.
- Set a good example by the way you dress, speak and act towards athletes, coaches, officials, parents and spectators.
- Show concern and caution towards sick and injured athletes.
- Officiate to the age and/or experience of the athletes.
For more information, visit the LAQ website: LAQ
Please visit our Facebook page for regular updates and information.